circa 1904Built by Davenport, Iowa Ironworks Company, the Mary Jane Steam Engine was a wood-burner and, at its best speed, traveled 25 miles per hour. Records indicate the train was used for at least 50 years before it was retired. In 1959, civic organizers in Opelousas purchased the Mary Jane making it into an industrial monument and relocated it to the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square. The monument was dedicated to the men and women of the past who helped link Opelousas with the rest of the United States through the railroad system. The Kiwanis Club of Opelousas funded the 1990 move of the steam engine and its restoration after its arrival at Le Vieux Village.
|Placed By||City of Opelousas, Louisiana|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, August 27th, 2017 at 7:02am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 588764 N 3378022|
|Decimal Degrees||30.53128333, -92.07471667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 31.877', W 92° 4.483'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 31' 52.62" N, 92° 4' 28.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 801-899 Ronald Reagan Hwy, Opelousas LA 70570, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.