Erected in 1822 by Nicholas Brown, 1786
Trustee 1791 - 1825, Treasurer 1796 - 1825, Fellow 1825 - 1841, as a gift to the University which bears his name.
Renovated in 1891 under the direction of Marshall Woods, 1845, Trustee 1856 - 1899, Treasurer 1866 - 1882.
In 1959 the exterior was restored and the interior completely reconstructed through the generosity of the following contributors:
A gentlewoman of Providence whose anonymous contribution made the restoration possible
The Class of 1908
B. A. Ballou and Company
John Nicholas Brown, Fellow 1935 -
Margaret Hazard Goddard
Robert H. Ives Goddard, trustee 1946 -
G. Mason Gross, 1928
Hope Goddard Iselin
Robert M. Lord, 1914
Hunter S. Marston, 1908, Trustee 1957 -
Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner and Smith
A total of 9173 alumni and friends who gave through the Brown University Fund