Courtland School, which served African American
students during the segregation era, was erected
here in 1928-29 at a cost of $4,000. The local
African American community raised $1,000, while
the county contributed $2,500. The Julius
Rosenwald Fund, established by the president
of Sears, Roebuck and Company, contributed
$500. Rosenwald's program, which helped pay
for the construction of more than 5,000 schools
for African Americans across the rural South
between 1917 and 1932, was inspired by the work
of Booker T. Washington, who died in 1915.
Courtland School, built on a standard two-teacher architectural plan, later became
Courtland Community Center.