This three-story wood frame building is one of Michigan's most splendid examples of Queen Anne architecture.
With juxtaposition of masses created by roof lines, chimneys, tower and porte-cochere it has become a symbol of Muskegon.
Fifteen stained glass windows add to the elegance of the structure, and the interior decoration includes hand-stenciled walls and ceilings, carved woodwork and seven tiled fireplaces.
The house is testimony to Hackley's wealth, and to an era when Muskegon was known as the "Lumber Queen of the World."
Charles H. Hackley (1837 - 1905) came to Muskegon in 1857.
Though he had only $7 when he arrived, he was worth $12 million at the time of his death.
He made his fortune in lumber, and when lumber declined, he administered the Chamber of Commerce program that rebuilt Muskegon into a center of industry.
His gifts and endowments to the community totaled over $6 million and supported parks, statuary, schools, local churches, a hospital and a public library.