Trinity United Methodist Church

Trinity United Methodist Church (HM20ZF)

Location: Warm Springs, GA 31830 Meriwether County
Buy Georgia State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 32° 55.2', W 84° 46.233'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 56 views
Inscription

Durand, Georgia

In 1854, Harmony Church near the Ogletree cemetery, Liberty Church close by the old Campbell place, and Providence Church from the Strickland neighborhood, all came together, after twenty-two years of sharing camp meeting worship, to form Trinity Church, believing that "in union there is strength". The first church building was constructed in 1854, in what was known then as the Stinson community, at the intersection of what are now Harry Hardy Road and Winter Road. Reverend Leonard Rush is thought to be the first pastor appointed by the conference, and Mark Crowder was the first Sunday School Superintendent. For fifty-four years, Trinity worship services were held in that sanctuary.


That original church building was completely destroyed by a cyclone in April 1908. Services were held in a tent until a new building was completed on the very spot where it stands today; a dedication service was held in 1910. Even though the cost of the new structure was $4,733, that price included a piano and furnishings. Some time between the original formation of Trinity and the building of the current sanctuary, the name of the town had changed from Stinson to Durand. The church's present sanctuary is located on the site of the antebellum home of Dr. James Winslow Stinson. While digging the foundation for our new addition in 2004,
an old, filled-in well was discovered. It is possible that, around the turn of the last century, Dr. Stinson drew water from that old well.


In 1954, forward thinking church members decided there was a need for an addition to the church. The current parlor, with a kitchen and dining area in the basement underneath, was completed and has

(Continued on other side)
(Side 2)

Trinity United Methodist Church
Durand, Georgia
(Continued from other side)


been enjoyed since that time. A complete renovation of the sanctuary, including restoring the beautiful woodwork and pews to the original splendor, was completed in 1978. The stained glass windows on the north side of the church were destroyed by a hailstorm on July 23, 1984. New windows, matching the old ones, were created and installed; glass that was salvaged from the broken sanctuary windows was used to make the two smaller windows currently located in the church vestibules.

The last renovation of the sanctuary was completed in 2003 and included new carpeting and wall coverings. A new sanctuary piano, given in memory of Gladys Crowder, and new chandeliers, given in memory of Henry S. Crowder, Jr., are some of the latest additions to this historic and most beautiful building often called The "Little White Church on the Hill."

In
2004, one hundred and fifty years after the formation of Trinity United Methodist Church, an increase in membership made a need for more space even more apparent. A new, larger fellowship hall and a more serviceable kitchen were constructed to the north of the sanctuary. This addition was completed in time for the 2004 sesquicentennial celebration under the capable leadership of Board Chairman Jeff Cain, Building Committee Chair Glenn Crowder, and Building Supervisor Henry C. (Penny) Mitcham, Jr.

Trinity United Methodist Church is still going strong. Many descendants of the original church founders and many new Trinity families worship here are each Sunday, rooted in a rich heritage of faith in Christ and growing toward a strong future.
Details
HM NumberHM20ZF
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16S E 708475 N 3644623
Decimal Degrees32.92000000, -84.77055000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 32° 55.2', W 84° 46.233'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds32° 55' 12" N, 84° 46' 13.98" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)706
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 101 Palm Ln, Warm Springs GA 31830, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?