James B. Armstrong
Colonel James B. Armstrong came to California from Ohio in 1874 as a land investor. He purchased land in these forests, eventually developing a deep appreciation for the redwoods. Witnessing the alarming rate of destruction from logging, he and his family became champions and local pioneers of preservation values. He devoted the later years of his life to saving Armstrong Woods for future generations. After passing away in 1900, his family and friends continued those early and important preservation efforts.
Lizzie Armstrong Jones
The eldest child of James Armstrong, Lizzie Armstrong Jones assisted the Colonel in many of his land dealings. In 1898 she inherited Armstrong Woods from her sister, and together with her husband Parson Jones, family friends, and fellow landowner Harrison LeBaron, she worked for years to make Armstrong Woods public property.
Armstrong Woods became a county park in 1916 and became part of the California State Park system in 1934.
This panel was funded through the generosity of the Owen and Virginia Keech Bird Family.
The foresight of the Armstrongs created a legacy that will never lose its value.