Camp Davis was one of three Camps of Instruction authorized January 1862, by Governor Joseph B. Brown of Georgia, to enlist, determine fitness for duty, and train for the Confederate States of America Army. Camp Davis opened March 2, 1862, training men from fifty-seven counties. As many as 5,000 could drill at one time at the location 2.5 miles north of Guyton, Georgia, on the Georgia Central Railroad. Five regiments and one battalion were organized at Camp Davis: the 48th, 49th, 50th, 51st, and 54th Georgia Voluntary Infantry Regiments and 11th Georgia Infantry Battalion, which became the 47th. The camp was used only three months and never used again.