The First Baptist Church of Hemphill has served the community since 1858, when Hemphill was organized. A number families from other states settled Hemphill at that time, including the five families that established the church. The organizing members were the Simon and Mary Ann Beckom Family, the John and Ann Everett Family, the Cannon and Sophronia Travis Family, the Richard and Rutha Travis Family and Henry and Mary White Family. They first met in a residence before holding services at the old Housen Bayou School Building. E.S. Phelps and W.C. Southwell were the first pastors for the congregation.
Hemphill and in 1886, construction began on a building. New sanctuaries replaced preceding ones in 1910, 1962 and 1984 to accommodate the growing congregation.
Since its establishment, the church has provided spiritually and physically for residents of Hemphill. Members have generously contributed necessities and given food baskets to needy individuals and families in the community. The church has also focused on programs to aid the elderly, education of children and youth, and mission work. Today, First Baptist Church continues to be an important leader in the community, serving as a spiritual beacon for residents of Hemphill.