This is the site of the former Lewis Crockett Store. It is also the site where in 1936, the Goodyear Blimp arrived with provisions to feed the islanders, who had been frozen in for over two months during a record freeze.
The Visitors Center and Museum was created in 2007 from the former Island Gift Shop. THMICC was established in 2006 as a not-for-profit charitable corporation to foster knowledge and appreciation of Tangier and the surrounding Chesapeake Bay region.
The museum focuses on the role of transportation in the history, present and future life of the island: provides displays and exhibits related to Tangier lsland and the surrounding Chesapeake Bay, addresses the region's maritime history and culture; archives materials related to the lsland; and has established The Tangier Water Trails, The Tangier Nature Trail, and The Tangier History Trail.
THMICC exhibits reflect the environmental and social history of Tangier, and encourages
programs to promote travel to the island and transportation around the island. We thank the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Federal Government, and all the volunteers who have contributed thousands of hours to make THMICC possible. THMICC is a work in progress and in need of your ongoing support.
Goodyear Blimp Delivering Food - 1936
wooden store on right is site of current Museum & Visitors Center.