Patrick Benson, a ship's captain from Dublin, Ireland, purchased this land in 1879. The middle section of house was completed in 1889. The front section with porch and back section with kitchen and outbuilding were added over the years, but completed before WWII.
After WWII it was owned by Marion Hickle who married Alva Crockett. The Crockett family lived there until Alva's death in 2001. Asbestos siding, indoor plumbing, electricity and central heat were added between WWII and 1970.
The house was left vacant for three years, during which time Hurricane Isabel did considerable damage, before being purchased in 2004 by Donna and Earl Cleveland. The Clevelands have been restoring and updating the house. The Cleveland's have renamed the home lona, after Donna's ancestral home, an island in the Scottish Hebrides.
The back of the house is at the center of the John Barber painting, August Afternoon.