In June, 1875, the first sod on the Canadian Pacific Railway's line from the Lakehead to the West was turned at Fort William. A government contract of that year called for the building of a line northwest towards Lake Shebandowan. In 1882 the government completed the railroad from Fort William to Winnipeg, while between 1882-1885 the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, incorporated in 1881, extended the railway across the prairies and through the Rockies via Kicking Horse and Rogers Passes. Meanwhile Andrew Onderdonk, under contract first with the government and then the company, had constructed the line eastward from Port Moody, B.C. The last spike was driven at Craigellachie in Eagle Pass, November 7, 1885.