1818-1825 First ChapelWhen the first two Catholic missionaries arrived at the Red River settlement, much work awaited them. Father Provencher constructed a modest log structure to serve as rectory, church and boys' school.1825-1839 Second ChurchFirst CathedralRight from the outset, father Provencher planned a larger building to serve the spiritual needs of the colony and represent the Church in the West. It took six years to raise the funds and complete the second church. Father Provencher was appointed bishop in 1822 and this church became thus the first St. Boniface Cathedral.1839- 1862Second CathedralThe population of the colony was growing. Bishop Provencher decided to build a larger cathedral, a stone building which was completed in 1839. Sir George Simpson, governor of the Hudson's Bay Company, provided a grant of 100 pounds sterling and the services of Scottish stone masons to complete the twin-towered building, immortalized in the poem "Red River Voyageur" by American poet J.G. Whittier in 1859. Fire destroyed this structure in 1860.1862-1908Third CathedralBishop Tache undertook the construction of a third Cathedral, built of stone with one bell tower, smaller than the previous one. It was used for 45 years
until the construction of what would become the biggest Cathedral in Western Canada. The last two decades of the nineteenth century were marked by a rapid growth of the city and, due to the increase of the population a larger building was needed. This church was demolished after the construction of the 4th Cathedral.1908-1968Fourth CathedralArchbishop Langevin succeeded Archbishop Tache in 1894 and the construction of a new cathedral started in 1905. Completed in three years, it was the most impressive building to date. Designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Marchand and Haskell in the Roman-byzantine style, it featured a 25 foot stained glass rosette and seated about 2000 people. Joseph Senecal led to construction which cost $325,000 at the time. On July 22, 1968 this building was destroyed by fire.1972Fifth CathedralBefore the ashes had cooled, the reconstruction project was being planned as Archbishop Baudoux was receiving cash and pledges from the parishioners. Franco-Manitoban architect Étienne Gaboury designed a new modern building, incorporated inside the walls and towers of the previous church to both meet the needs of the congregation and preserve the heritage of the past.