An adobe house was built here in 1857 where Don Agustin Janssens, a Belgian, and his wife, Maria Antonia Pico, lived into the 1870s. Janssens, a frequent office holder in the region, had arrived in California in 1834. Don Bruno F. Orella, a native of Viscaya, Spain, and his wife, Mercedes Gonzalez, of a land grant Presidio family, bought it in 1872. Long the family home, it was owned by his descendents into the 1950s. The Orellas also owned ranch lands along the Refugio Coast.
In 1927 Manning's Copper Coffee Pot restaurant was constructed here, leaving only one adobe wall. The building is a city landmark and is on the National Register of Historic Places.