The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling were completed in 1872, replacing the Lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, the architect of many outstanding buildings in Georgia, served as the contractor from 1868 until his death in 1871.
Since 1872, a 3rd order Fresnel lens made in France has projected the light that guides mariners into St. Simons Sound. The light was converted from oil lamp to electricity in 1934 and automated in the mid-1950s, ending the need for a resident keeper. The light continues to be an active Aid to Navigation maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
In 1971, the Federal government conveyed ownership of the Dwelling to Glynn County. Since 1975, the Coastal Georgia Historical Society has operated the Dwelling as a museum of coastal history. In 2004, the Society acquired the St. Simons Lighthouse under the National Lighthouse Preservation Act
The gazebo to the left of the Keeper's Dwelling was once the ornamental cover for a water tank at the summer cottage built by shipping magnate F.D.M. Strachan on St. Simons Sound around 1910. It was donated to the Coastal Georgia Historical Society and moved to this property in 1989.
A.W. Jones Heritage Center
in 2007-08, the A.W. Jones Heritage Center serves as headquarters for the Coastal Georgia Historical Society. It houses the Museum Store, an event hall, archives, and administrative offices.