On February 7, 1951, the State of Idaho Department of Civil Defense set up the GOC, a Citizen Volunteer Auxiliary with the United States Air Force.
In October, 1951, Soda Springs and Caribou County Ground Observers met with Major T.A. Burda, Air Defense Officer, Boise Air Force Filter Center Commander, to achieve greater efficiency and close cooperation in Ground Observer Corp activities in the area.
Sector Headquarters, for the U.S. Air Force, were established in Soda Springs in December 1954. Staff Sergeant Ausmus G. Stevens, sector sergeant, moved to Soda Springs with his family and set up an office in the Caribou County Courthouse. This sector covered Caribou, Bear Lake and Franklin Counties in Idaho and Lincoln County in Wyoming. With Sgt. Stevens relocation, Soda Springs was finally filling a void in the air defense screen. "The eyes of the people here are greatly needed" he said.
Lt. Col. John Gaffney, State Civil Defense Coordinator and Sgt. Stevens met with Soda Springs City Council members to begin the GOC Building project in July 1955. Horsley Brothers present the accepted bid of $856.00 for the 8 square foot building. Caribou County also gave $300.00 to each post.
With 100 volunteers pledged, the Ground Observer Corp, Soda Springs Post officially began twelve hour day operations in January 1956. Monsanto
Chemical Company temporarily operated the twelve hour night shift.
On January 31, 1959, the U.S. Ground Observation Corp was inactivated.
The GOC has been properly characterized as the greatest peacetime civilian volunteer defense organization in the history of the nation. The dedication and patriotism of its individual volunteers who have contributed so much to national security have received the highest tributes from the country's leaders.