The Braman Hotel was established here in about 1844. It was a three-story structure, shown on maps at the time as a "tavern." This road, originally an Indian trail, connected Monroe to Saline and Jackson. Weary travelers stepped out of their stagecoach behind the Braman Hotel. The top story served as a ballroom, meeting room, convention center, town hall, and church, as needed. For several decades, it was the only indoor location that would hold a gathering of any size. The proprietor, Thomas Braman, was born October 2, 1799 in Massachusetts. His wife, the former Harriet Croak, was born February 4, 1816 in New York. They bought some farmland on the south side of West Main when they arrived here in the mid-1830's. Their son Andrew helped manage the hotel, then took it over from his parents. Sometime around 1890 the Braman hotel ceased operations. The third floor was removed, and the building was used as a residence.
Washtenaw County Historic Landmark