This plaque is dedicated to
HIAS, The Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
which occupied this building from
1921 to 1965.
As the international migration agency of the American Jewish community, HIAS' work, providing rescue and refuge for endangered and persecuted people of all faiths and backgrounds around the world, continues to this day.
Founded in 1881, HIAS has rescued more than 4,500,000 men, women, and children, including members of almost every Jewish family in America. Tens of thousands of these refugees and migrants were sheltered and fed in this building before they entered the mainstream of life in this great nation.