Natchez TrailsIn 1889 Bishop Thomas Heslin started the first parish for Roman Catholic African Americans in Mississippi. He first oversaw construction of a small frame church (above left) on Beaumont Street and brought Father A.N.J. Peters to Natchez to become the founding parish priest. The congregation grew quickly, and Father Peters traveled north to raise money for a new, larger church and school. Heiress Katharine Drexel of Philadelphia became a major benefactor. In 1894 the congregation dedicated a Victorian Gothic brick church, constructed by local builder William Ketteringham, and named it Holy Family Church. The building featured an upper-story sanctuary with classrooms below. Pictured above (left to right) are the 1906 school auditorium/cafeteria, the 1894 convent and Holy Family Church. Not visible is the ca. 1895 redtory.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 652170 N 3492631|
|Decimal Degrees||31.55865000, -91.39670000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 33.519', W 91° 23.802'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 33' 31.14" N, 91° 23' 48.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||601, 769|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 28 St Catherine St, Natchez MS 39120, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.