In 1734, John Magruder established a tobacco plantation on this property. Tobacco cultivation continued with his son, Nathan and grandson, Isaac, both of whom were active patriots during the American revolution. Otho Magruder, a nineteenth century owner, assisted in the establishment of the Montgomery County Agricultural Society in 1846. When wheat cultivation replaced tobacco, Magruder's farm became known as Waveland. Ownership of the present farm passed to Thaddeus T. Bussard in 1888. Farming by the Bussard family continued until the 1970s.
On the western edge of this farm existed a black community known as Newmantown. Albert Newman and his wife, Mary Ellen, from Virginia acquired the property in 1879. By 1920, several houses stood on the property inhabited by members of the Newman family hence the name Newmantown.