(Episcopal)This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805.An octagonal Gothic church designed by Henry S. Latrobe, Architect was erected at Canal and Bourbon Streets in 1815. It was replaced by a Greek Revival one designed by Gallier and Dankin in 1835. A third church in the Gothic Style was erected at Canal and Dauphine Streets in 1846 and served until 1885. Thomas K. Wharton, Architect James Gallier, builder.The present church was built in 1886, Lawrence B. Valk of New York, Architect B.M. Harrod of New Orleans, supervising architect. The Right Reverend Leonidas Polk, D.D. first bishop of Louisiana and a General, C.S.A., who died in battle in the War Between the States, is entombed in the south choir aisle of this building.
|Placed By||Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 2nd, 2017 at 6:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 781150 N 3314625|
|Decimal Degrees||29.93026667, -90.08761667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 29° 55.816', W 90° 5.257'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||29° 55' 48.96" N, 90° 5' 15.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2919 St Charles Ave, New Orleans LA 70115, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.