The Casselman is a mid 19th-century hostelry, probably built in the early 1800's by Soloman Sterner, to serve travelers on the National Road. The stylistic features of the building show strong early 1800s Federal influence, but many of the specific construction features reflect elements used in Cumberland, the nearest population center, into the 1850s. The building has been known at various times as Drover's Inn. Farmer's Hotel and Dorsey's Hotel. It was a private residence for a time in this century. The present owners, who acquired the Casselman in 1964, have added a dining room, an antique shop and a bake shop to the original structure.