Welcome to Mt. Zion Historic Park, a property of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority. Built in 1851, this Old School Baptist Church was a place of worship, and also a critical site during the Civil War because of its location at the junction of two early roads and on high ground. The church building was used as a barracks, hospital, prison, and rendezvous point at various times from 1861-1865. The Battle of Mt. Zion, on July 6, 1864, brought Union forces up against Confederate partisan fighter John S. Mosby and his men. Graffiti on the interior walls of the church show names and regiments of soldiers that once were here.
The congregation of the church worshipped here on the fourth Sunday of each month except for the years of the Civil War. The church continued to serve as a place of worship until 1980, when the congregation had dwindled to just a few individuals. Mt. Zion was restored in 2007-2008 and is open to the public for tours and special programs, and is a rental property.