This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. James Baptist Church. After the black community on the island raised funds to buy this tract, Beaufort County agreed to build this school.
This was an elementary school with one teacher, with an average of about 30 students. It had grades 1-5 when it opened in 1937, adding grade 6 the next school year. The black community helped pay for maintenance of the school and also supplemented teacher salaries. Cherry Hill School, which closed in 1954, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.