Circa 1930After the Great Fire of 1870, the Dreyfus Building was partitioned in 1929, with this portion becoming one of the city's early movie houses, The Evangeline Theater., Opened on April 19, 1930, by the Theodore Sliman Family, the building was renovated by William Bowen to its current appearance in 1940. The vertical Evangeline Art Deco sign that still graces the front of the building, original to the theater, represents an early use of neon in Louisiana. After the Evangeline closed in 1960, it remained vacant for over 30 years, donated to the City of New Iberia in 1994 by the Sliman family, State Representative Elias "Bo" Ackel secured funding to restore this structure, now known as the Sliman Theater.Donated in loving memory of Harry John Broussard and Joyce Dugas Broussard by their children Donna, Simone, and Kerry.
|Placed By||Iberia Cultural Resources Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, June 17th, 2017 at 5:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 614045 N 3319944|
|Decimal Degrees||30.00515000, -91.81751667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 0.309', W 91° 49.051'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 0' 18.54" N, 91° 49' 3.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 131 E Main St, New Iberia LA 70560, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.