Circa 1892This building, constructed in 1892 by the Jacob Davis Family on land purchased from Leonidas Serret, remained in the Davis family until its 1936 purchase by Dr. Paul A. Lebourgeois. The pediment brickwork of the second story facade is considered the finest extant example of the artistry of Aristide and Alfred Etie, New Iberia brick masons at the turn of the twentieth century. This building housed many businesses including Mrs. Scharff and Sons Clothing Store, C.L. Lasalle Groceries, The Cozy Cafe, Steinberg's Furs, Gary's Drug Store and Sears, Roebuck and Co. Through the generosity of many local citizens, the property was acquired in 2011 and named the Donald "Doc" Voorhies Wing of The Bayou Teche Museum.Donated by Dr. Donald J. Voorhies and the children of his siblings, Dr. Cornelius P. Voorhies, Jr., H. Alfred Voorhies, and Diane Voorhies Plaisance in memory of Cornelius P. Voorhies, Sr., and Odette Delcambre Voorhies.
|Placed By||Iberia Cultural Resources Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, June 16th, 2017 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 614062 N 3319929|
|Decimal Degrees||30.00501667, -91.81735000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 0.301', W 91° 49.041'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 0' 18.06" N, 91° 49' 2.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 133 E Main St, New Iberia LA 70560, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.