Boats of Indian Lake

Boats of Indian Lake (HM1YRB)

Location: Russells Point, OH 43348 Logan County
Country: United States of America

N 40° 28.365', W 83° 53.66'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 373 views
Inscription
The first motorized boat appeared on Indian Lake in the early 1900's. By 1930, reports indicated there were a total of 13 pleasure boats and 17 speed boats operating out of Russells Point Harbor, and many more from other points around the lake. For a nickle or dime visitors could take a spin around the lake, a unique opportunity in the day. Many people have fond memories of those first boat rides at Indian Lake. Hundreds of rowboats were also available for rent to enjoy the area's great fishing and scenery. Perhaps the largest boat at the time was the "Evelyn", named for French Wilgus' daughter. It was owned and operated by Henry Blum and Cliff Binkley from 1925 until 1956. There were many other boats including the :Curio," "Orchard Island Queen," "Queen of Sandee Gables," "The Chief," "Bumblebee," "Top Hat," and the "Ghost." Some of the early Speed Boat ride concessionaires included C. S. Lawson, H.R. McGraw, Ray Gooding, O.C. Hall, Ira Bickham and Scotty Wallace.
Although not an actual boat, The Plaza Showboat was a popular scene at Indian Lake. This structure, located on the west side of Russells Point Harbor was, in fact, simply a nautical themed night club featuring Caberet style shows and fine dining. The Show Boat is included in most of
the popular old time images of the Amusement Park, Bridge, and harbor area.
After WWII, more people began to acquire their own boats. The popularity of commercial boat rides declined and by the late 1960's.they were nearly extinct. It was in these later years that the "Mark Twain," became the most popular tour boat on Indian Lake. Built in the style of a steam "paddle wheeler" by local resident Floyd Dever, this steel hauled, double-decked boat measured 18 feet wide by 60 feet long and could seat 175 passengers. Named for it's resemblance to the PT boats of WWII, the "Squaw" also known as "Brad's PT Boat" was another Indian Lake icon operated by the Bradford family well into the 1960's. Even though the commercial ride boats are all gone today, wooden boats are still celebrated on Indian Lake for their classic lines and beauty. Boating remains one of the favorite recreational activities at Indian Lake.
Details
HM NumberHM1YRB
Tags
Year Placed2017
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 at 9:03am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17T E 254636 N 4484254
Decimal Degrees40.47275000, -83.89433333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 40° 28.365', W 83° 53.66'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds40° 28' 21.9" N, 83° 53' 39.6" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)937
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Bridgeview Ct, Russells Point OH 43348, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?