1890 - 1957
—Windsor Battleﬁeld Tour —During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar hangings. In 1871, Father Huber reported to Bishop Elder that the value of the church, lot and house, was approximately $3,500. For the next eight years, the mission was occasionally served by several priests. In late 1870's a school operated at the church. The school created a financial drain on the church treasury, so parents were charged a monthly tuition to meet the cost, an increasing hardship on families in a declining community economy and population. During the 1927 flood, the church was damaged but repaired the following year. By 1933, the population of Rodney had diminished to less than 100. By 1937, only seven communicants remained at Sacred Heart, and services were that year discontinued. In February 1969, the Natchez-Jackson Diocese deeded the property to the Rodney Foundation for the most outstanding of the few remaining examples in Mississippi of carpenter gothic church architecture.
|Placed By||The Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, June 5th, 2017 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||31N E 166021 N 0|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03058333, -91.05246667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 1.835', W 91° 3.148'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 1' 50.1" N, 91° 3' 8.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 12006 Grand Gulf Rd, Port Gibson MS 39150, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.