—Oldest Catholic Community in Pinellas County —In 1888 land was donated for a Catholic church by former Arizona Governor Anson P.K. Safford. A small 28' x 18' mission chapel named St. Ignatius was built by Judge John D. Murphy on Lemon Street the following year, and on May 20, 1889, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. celebrated its first mass. By 1905 the church was expanded and in 1929 the mission was entrusted to St. Ceceilia parish in Clearwater. In the late 1940's Msgr. Colreavy purchased 10 lots at the present location and an army frame chapel was relocated to the site. The parish was canonically established on December 9, 1954 under the pastorate of Father William Dubois. The parish continued to grow rapidly over the next 15 years, and more adjoining land was purchased in 1976. Five years later the new church was dedicated. The church's seven large laminated pine beams were transported from North Carolina on the old Atlantic Coast Line Railroad's last local run. That rail line would become the Pinellas Trail.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 328632 N 3114719|
|Decimal Degrees||28.14701667, -82.74513333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 28° 8.821', W 82° 44.708'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||28° 8' 49.26" N, 82° 44' 42.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 725 E Orange St, Tarpon Springs FL 34689, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.