—Grand Gulf Historic Tour —In May 1862, cannoneers of Brookhaven Light Artillery, commanded by Captain James Hoskins, reached Grand Gulf. Hoskins had gunners emplace and mask four 6-pounders on bluffs behind the village. The task was to harass the Federals fleet commanded by Flag Officer Commodore David Farragut. On May 26, 1862 the Confederate artillerists wisely let three warships pass undisturbed, but as unarmed transports drew abreast, the four 6-pounders roared into action scoring hits on the "Laurel Hill". Before the warships could get into a position to return the fire, the flying battery was gone. Captain Thomas Craven, commander of the warship "Brooklyn", determined to teach the Confederates a lesson by bombarding the town of Grand Gulf. Captain Craven, intent on burning the town, conferred with Brigadier General Thomas Williams and agreed to spare the town, but to send Federal forces to levy a forced contribution of cattle, pigs, poultry and wood upon the populace. Under cover of darkness on the night of June 8, 1862 the Confederates moved 6 and 12-pounders into position on the ridge behind Grand Gulf. The next morning crews of these guns struck the "Wissehicken" and "Itasca" while these vessels were passing the batteries.
|Placed By||The Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 683918 N 3545592|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03156667, -91.05235000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 1.894', W 91° 3.141'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 1' 53.64" N, 91° 3' 8.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 12006 Grand Gulf Rd, Port Gibson MS 39150, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.