—Grand Gulf Historic Tour —In 1958 the Mississippi Legislature created the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission to purchase 1and and develop the Grand Gulf site. The Grand Gulf Military State Park opened in May, 1962. Dedication ceremonies were held April 7, 1968. On its 104 beautiful acres are the remains of Forts Wade and Cobun, various gun trenches and emplacements, an old cemetery, an observation tower, and several buildings. The caretaker house is an early structure dating from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. It is simple in form with four rooms and three exterior chimneys. A gallery extends across the front. A number of wagons and carriages are displayed in a nearby building. The modern museum building contains a wealth of artifacts and documents relating to Grand Gulf, Civil War activities in the area, Claiborne County, Port Gibson, and southwestern Mississippi in general. The Grand Gulf Military State Park is included in the National Register of Historic Places.
|Placed By||The Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 683844 N 3545419|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03001667, -91.05316667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 1.801', W 91° 3.19'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 1' 48.06" N, 91° 3' 11.4" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Grand Gulf, Port Gibson MS 39150, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.