This pioneer clergyman, legislator and teacher was born in 1778 in Aberdeen, Scotland, and in 1799 came to Kingston as a tutor. In 1803, after entering the Church of England, he was ordained and appointed missionary at Cornwall. Here in 1804-5, he built its first Anglican church. Shortly afterwards he opened a boys' school which became renowned for its high academic standards and eminent graduates. In 1812 he became Rector of York (Toronto), and subsequently a member of the province's executive and legislative councils. Appointed Upper Canada's first Anglican bishop in 1839, he died in 1867 and this church, commenced in 1869, is dedicated to his memory.