This church came into being in 1899, when the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, established in the Town of Carrollton in 1848, and the Mater Dolorosa German Church, which dated from 1871, were united into a single parish. With the consolidation came both the need and the desire to construct a substantial new church. Under the leadership of Msgr. Francis J. Prim, pastor of Mater Dolorosa for 34 years, the present church was constructed. The cornerstone of Mater Dolorosa was laid on August 9, 1908 and on March 7, 1909, the church was dedicated. From Mater Dolorosa's original territory more than a score of parishes have emerged.