Alfred Apperson was born in 1806. He married Malinda Jones in 1816 and managed a plantation until he had saved enough money to purchase 120 acres of farm land in 1846. That land would become part of Lake of the Woods 120 years later. Alfred and Malinda (left) had three sons and three daughters.
When the Civil War began, Eli was too young to join the army. His older brothers did, with Charles Cincinatus becoming a sergeant in Co. C, 7th Virginia Infantry, and John Samuel appointed Hospital Steward in the 4th Virginia Infantry in the Stonewall Brigade. After the war, neither brother returned to Orange County to live.
Eli remained and later purchased other land adjacent to his father's. He left everything to his first-born twin sons, Alonzo and Alphonzo. They passed the land to their respective sons Clarence and William Ray. In 1966, the two Apperson cousins sold their land to the Virginia Wildlife Clubs, Inc. for the creation of Lake of the Woods.
1 William Ray Apperson's house was built in 1929 to replace one that had burned on the same hillside. In 1972, its interior was gutted by another fire. Today, it is known as the White House, located at 3205 Lakeview Parkway.
2 The house in which Clarence Apperson lived still stands. Its original portion was built around 1800 near Flat Run
and is the oldest house in Lake of the Woods. Additions through the years expanded it to more than 1840 square feet. In 1974, the house was moved a hundred yards to 402 Harrison Circle.
3 The Apperson Cemetery is located on a parcel between 2606 and 2608 Lakeview Pkwy. Malinda was buried there on November 8, 1872, and Alfred was buried there on November 8, 1880. Fieldstones mark two other unknown graves. Alfred and Malinda's house stood where Lakeview Parkway now runs in front of the cemetery.
4 You are HERE