On this site in 1787, Thomas Peters built the original brewery that he sold to Edward Johnson (Mayor of Baltimore, 1808-1814, 1822). It was during Johnson's ownership of the brewery, and while serving as Mayor of the City of Baltimore in 1813, that Mary Young Pickersgill (1776-1857) assembled the immense Star Spangled Banner Flag that famously flew over Ft. McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in September 1814 and inspired Francis Scott Key's poem.
Following the War of 1812, Johnson sold the brewery. It remained Claggett's until it was sold in 1868 to the Daniels family and operated as a brewery until 1879.
In the early 1900's, a casket manufacturer occupied the site. But in 1987, Theo DeGroen, brewmaster, opened the Baltimore Brewing Company, returning the site to its beer-infused history. In 1998, the City of Baltimore developed Brewer's Park to commemorate the many breweries that were located in this neighborhood