Early History Of
Created in 1858 out of Bexar County, Kimble County was attached temporarily to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. It was named for Lt. George C Kimble slain March 6, 1836, in the siege of the Alamo. The county was organized in 1876 and the first regular term of district court was held, spring 1877 under a live oak tree 1¾ miles north of here. Judge W.A. Blackburn presided, aided by Texas Rangers.
The first county officials elected February 15, 1876 were Will Potter, Judge; Frank Latta, Sheriff and Tax Collector; K. Kountz, Clerk; N.Q. Patterson, Treasurer; M. J. Denman, Surveyor; And William Graham: Attorney.
The County Commissioners were James R. Steffey of Precinct 1; Felix Burton of Precinct 2; H.E. Pearl of Precinct 3: and A. Vancourt of Precinct 4.
The first courthouse, a frame building erected in 1878, was destroyed, with all the county records by fire April 22, 1884. Commissioners Court passed an order on May 18, 1884, to replace the old building with a new two-story stone structure.
On June 22, 1888, this also was partially destroyed by fire and on April 11, 1889 it was ordered repaired under the direction of B.A. Davey. This building stood until replaced by the present courthouse in 1929. (1968)