Captain William G. Dana RanchoRancho Nipomo, almost 38,000 acres in size, was granted to Boston sea captain William Goodwin Dana, in 1837. The rancho for many years was the first stopping place on El Camino Real south of Mission San Luis Obispo. From 1839 until Dana's death in 1858, the Rancho was known throughout the state as a hospitable stopping place for travelers, including Captain John C. Fremont, Edwin Bryant, and General Henry W. Halleck. In 1847 the "Dana Ranch" became one of four designated exchange points on California's first U.S. mail route.
|Placed By||California Department of Parks and Recreation and the Dana Adobe Nipomo Amigos|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, April 15th, 2017 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 730901 N 3879048|
|Decimal Degrees||35.02775000, -120.46905000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 1.665', W 120° 28.143'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 1' 39.9" N, 120° 28' 8.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 671 S Oakglen Ave, Nipomo CA 93444, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.