First located in 1867, the fabulous Sheep Ranch Mine produced more than 8 million dollars in gold while in operation. Aquired in 1877, by senator George Hearst, K.B. Haggin and associates. It was operated continuously by the Hearst firm until 1893, produced an estimated 4 million dollars in gold, and reached a depth of 1,400 feet. By 1942, when finally closed, the mine had reached 3,100 feet in depth. Sold by the Hearst interests by 1898, the mine was later operated by the St. Joseph Lead Company. It can be described as the most productive in the Sierran East Gold Belt.