Janesville Plank Road Tollgate Historical

Janesville Plank Road Tollgate Historical (HM1XAK)

Location: Muskego, WI 53150 Waukesha County
Country: United States of America

N 42° 54.391', W 88° 8.279'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 98 views
Inscription
This is the location of an original tollgate located at the Muskego Centre on the Janesville Plank Road; one of 16 privately owned toll roads authorized by the Wisconsin Territorial legislature in 1848. It was to follow a sixty-five mile route beginning in the City of Milwaukee, by way of Big Bend, to East Troy and then to the Village of Janesville. It was to also connect with other plank roads in Wisconsin. It was built on the 1838 Janesville Territorial Road, which followed an Indian trail extending from the rice marshes of Milwaukee southwestwards to Janesville.
The legislature set maximum toll rates that could be levied by the owners of the private road: "tollgates may be erected and tolls collected whenever five miles are finished, not exceeding two cents a mile for every vehicle, sled, sleigh or carriage drawn by two animals, and if drawn by more than two animals, one cent a mile for every additional animal. For every score (10) of sheep or swine three cents a mile and for every score of cattle four cents per mile." It was common practice for farmers to drive their animals to market. Persons exempted from tolls were those going to a required military parade, a funeral or any religious meeting on Sunday. The plank roads effectively cut in half the travel time as compared to the unimproved trails of the day; many of which became totally impassable in the springtime.
By 1854 only 24 miles had been completed near the Forest Home Cemetery in Milwaukee and reaching Mukwonago. Tollgates were at Forest Home Cemetery, Hales Corners, and here at the Muskego Centre, where it intersected with the Waterford Plank Road.
Maintenance costs were quite high as the wood rotted within five years and the profits were not as high as expected. The coming of the railroads in the 1860s was the beginning of the end for this and other plank roads in Wisconsin. As the plank roads were abandoned, they reverted back to the local municipalities for maintenance and upgrading.Today, Janesville Road still serves the public in much the same way it was intended to over a hundred and sixty years ago.
Details
HM NumberHM1XAK
Tags
Year Placed2014
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, March 16th, 2017 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)16T E 407103 N 4751061
Decimal Degrees42.90651667, -88.13798333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 42° 54.391', W 88° 8.279'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds42° 54' 23.46" N, 88° 8' 16.74" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)414, 262
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near S76W17786 Janesville Rd, Muskego WI 53150, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?