Named for Admiral David Glasgow Farragut who was born in this area, Farragut High School began in 1904 as a six-room frame academic building on 12 acres of land at the junction of Concord Road and Kingston Pike. In addition to practical agriculture, domestic science and manual training, the curriculum included Latin, English and science to prepare students for college entrance. The first class graduated in 1907, with one student awarded a diploma and students each in the following two years.
Farragut has undergone many additions and modifications over the years. In 1917, the first county gymnasium was added to the campus, this giving Farragut's students superior athletic advantages. In 1923, a grammar school building was added as well as another addition to the high school in 1932. An auditorium was added in 1938 and a new gymnasium in 1941. A new elementary school was built in 1949, and the final addition to the high school on the original campus was completed in 1959.
With the end of the World War II and the Cold War, many employees of Oak Ridge National Laboratories remained in this area. This increase in population caused a change in the expectations of the parents and thus the curriculum that was offered at Farragut High School. The school moved away from its rural roots and started offering a more advanced curriculum
including college prep classes.
By the 1970s. Farragut had completely outgrown its original campus. In 1975, construction began on the new school. The $11 million facility was located on 55 acres overlooking the Farragut community. In 1983, the high school was one of 10 in the nation to receive a $10,000 special arts grant from the Rockefeller Foundation. On June 14, 1983, President Reagan visited the school. His three main objectives included a luncheon, briefing with then Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander about Alexander's Master Teacher Plan, and visit to Shirley Mynatt's English class.
Today, Farragut is one of the largest high schools in Tennesse and maintains the degree of excellence that has been shown throughout its history. In 1990 and again in 2004, it was recognized by the College Board for the achievement and participation of students in the Advanced Placement Program. The school is among state leaders in producing Nation Merit Scholars and has been named by West Point Military Academy as a "Spotlight School".
Since its creation in 1904, Farragut High School has remained an important part of the Farragut community. With the help of associations such as the Parent Teacher Association, the Education Foundation, parent booster groups and community businesses, the future of the school looks bright. After over 100 years of being the "hub" of the Farragut
community, Farragut High School will continue to progress with the age of technology and maintain its standards of excellence into the future.