On site acquired Aug. 18, 1877, for Fort Griffin Lodge No. 489., A.F.&A.M., chartered on Dec. 14, 1878. Stone was quarried nearby on Collins Creek. Volunteers built hall. School, civic affairs, church services of many denominations were held downstairs, the lodge upstairs. In 1881, community was dealt two blows: the U.S. Army vacated Fort Griffin and the Texas Central Railroad line bypassed the town. In 1886, the lodge moved to Throckmorton.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973
School, held here until 1937, was consolidated with Albany in 1942. Structure is still used by clubs and for church services.