Fulda's Cannon Historical

Fulda's Cannon Historical (HM1WTV)

Location: Fulda, MN 56131 Murray County
Country: United States of America

N 43° 52.342', W 95° 35.996'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 105 views
Inscription

-3 Inch Ordnance Rifle-

Side 1
In 1892, Fulda was to host the Encampment of the GAR, Grand Army of the Republic, comprised of Union veterans of the Civil War. With enthusiasm mounting, the members of the Zach Taylor Post 42 and a majority of Fulda's citizens petitioned the Village Council to purchase a Civil War 3" ordnance rifle (or cannon). William M. Davis, Fulda's first Mayor, arranged with W. Stokes Kirk Company of Philadelphia, PA, to make the purchase at a cost of $155.00 including freight. It was received June 25, 1892, and fired that same year at the Encampment held just south of town.

On the muzzle are the initials of T.T.S. Laidley - Inspector of Ordnance, the serial number, manufacturer's initials, year it was made, and weight of the tube or barrel. "NJ" on the tube indicated that it was ordered by the New Jersey Militia, one of only nine that exists today. On one side the trunnion is marked "Phoenix Iron Co.", the manufacturer, and on the other side is the date of a patent granted for an improvement in the forging and welding process. The cannon itself was patented in 1855. Between January 1, 1861, and June 30, 1866, the federal government purchased 925 rifles of this type.

Side 2


At the turn of the century the cannon appeared at various parades and celebrations throughout the area including
Fulda's own Memorial Day and Fourth of July parades. It was fired on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, and would not be heard again for decades. During the cannon's historical significance, the Fulda Village Council hid it from view, refusing to yield it to scrap. In 2001, the Fulda City Council saw the cannon in disrepair and decided to begin a restoration effort. Paulson Bros. Ordnance Co. of Clear Lake, WI , was hired to do I job, and after 83 years of silence the cannon's boom was heard again on May 12, 2001.


Bore Diameter - 3.0"
Tube Material - wrought iron
Tube Length - 73"
Tube Weight - 816 lbs.
Projectile Weight - 9.5 lbs.
Powder Charge - 1 lb.
Range at 5 degrees elevation - 1,835 yds.

This marker is dedicated to all who served their country with dignity and honor.
Details
HM NumberHM1WTV
Tags
Year Placed2004
Placed ByFulda Heritage Society
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 at 9:01am PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)15T E 291103 N 4860982
Decimal Degrees43.87236667, -95.59993333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 43° 52.342', W 95° 35.996'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds43° 52' 20.52" N, 95° 35' 59.76" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)507
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 300-398 Co Hwy 39, Fulda MN 56131, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. This marker needs at least one picture.
  9. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  10. Is the marker in the median?