Strawberry Island Historical

Strawberry Island Historical (HM1WNC)

Location: Grand Island, NY 14072 Erie County
Country: United States of America

N 42° 57.551', W 78° 56.33'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 103 views
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Inscription

Past to Present

Strawberry Island formed near the end of the Wisconsin Ice Age about 12,000 years ago. When meltwaters broke through gracial till and created the present course of the Niagara River, gravel and sand carried downstream by river currents settled out where the Niagara River divides to go around Grand Island. The result was a 100-acre island complex that has since diminished to the islands we see today. Strawberry Island played an important part in the history of the Niagara Frontier. Ownership of Stawberry Island changed many times and so did its size. Did You Know? Many major buildings in Buffalo were constructed using concrete produced from Stawberry Island's raw materials. 1814. During a siege on Buffalo in 1814, British soldiers use Strawberry Island as a staging area for a planned troop assault. After invading Buffalo, the British troops use the island to regroup and await further orders. 1815. New York State purchases Strawberry Island from the Seneca Indians. Siemeon Dewitt, New York's first Surveyor General, determines the island to be 100 acres with an estimated value of $100. 1820's. Sand and gravel excavated during construction of the Erie Canal is deposited on the upstream end of the island, increasing its size to 138 acres. 1882. A local businessman builds a two-story hotel on
Strawberry Island. A small canal built through the middle of the island allows guests to row boats or fish while avoiding the Niagara River currents. The hotel was demolished around 1892. 1890's. Theodore Roosevelt and Grover Cleveland fish the waters around Strawberry Island. 1912. Gravel and rock excavated for construction of the Black Rock Lock are deposited on Strawberry Island, increasing its size to 204 acres. The Border Island Company of Buffalo purchases the island and undertakes extensive sand and gravel dredging. Within one year, the island's size is reduced by half. 1926. Buffalo Gravel Corporation purchases Strawberry Island. The United States Army Corps of Engineers revokes permits for dredging due to evidence that material previously removed caused a noticible drop in Lake Erie water levels. 1938. Dredging of sand and gravel resumes, but is confined to the northwest side of the island. 1948. Dredging operations reduce the island to 36 acres. Fearing the consequences of the island's reduction, the United States Army Corps of Engineers again halts dredging. When it resumes, a 200-foot strip between the excavation area and the island's perimeter is required. This creates a six-acre lagoon in the island's center. 1953. The Town of Tonawanda purchases the island, now 25 acres. 1970. Decades of foot traffic,
vandalism, waves, river currents, and spring ice floes reduce the island to just five acres. Concerned citizens attempt to control erosion though shoreline plantings and by pressuring politicians for action. 1980. The Strawberry Island Preservation Group is formed and obtains funding for a study to determine ways to protect the island. The study reveals that the Niagara river will break through the southwest side of the island in a few years. 1989. Ownership of Strawberry Island is transferred to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. 1992. Severe December storms and record high water levels cause a 50-foot breach in the southwest shoreline. The Strawberry Island Alliance is formed. 1993-1994. Phase I emergency action repairs the breach in the southwest shoreline. 1996-1997. Phase II of the restoration involves adding stone and geotextile fabric to strengthenand stabilize key shoreline areas. 1998. New York State purchases Motor Island to ensure the protection of a large nesting colony of great blue herons and great egrets. 2001-2002. Phase III of the restoration effort involves adding stone and wetland soil to rebuild the island's long-lost east and west "arms," increasing the island's size by 3.03 acres.
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Details
HM NumberHM1WNC
Series This marker is part of the Erie Canal series
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, January 27th, 2017 at 9:01pm PST -08:00
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)17T E 668116 N 4758343
Decimal Degrees42.95918333, -78.93883333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 42° 57.551', W 78° 56.33'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds42° 57' 33.06" N, 78° 56' 19.8" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)716
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Park Rd, Grand Island NY 14072, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. This marker needs at least one picture.
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?