This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south.
The post quartermaster and his staff - a sergeant and a clerk - were the busiest and most harassed men at the fort. The quartermaster was responsible for supplies, construction and maintenance of buildings, contracts for forage and firewood, and all forms of transportation. He also hired all civilian employees - teamsters, carpenter, blacksmiths, masons.
Soldiers drew equipment and clothing from this office, and received work orders for post construction projects.