Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's Battery was relocated 200 yards west of this location in order to strengthen the far left of the Confederate line. Afterwards, the same artillerists that manned Redoubt No. 4 also manned the Sandbag Battery. The redoubt was armed with four 3-inch ordinance rifles. Lumsden's new location was armed with three mortars and four 6-pounder cannons. The men jokingly referred to these guns as 'popguns." Capt. Thomas Perry's Marion (Florida) Light Artillery relieved Lumsden's Battery on April 6, 1865.
Ector's Infantry Brigade occupied the earthworks on the Confederate left flank during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Col. David Coleman was temporarily in command of the brigade. The 29th and 39th NC Infantry Regiments were on the brigade's right. On the left were the Texas Regiments if the 9th TX Infantry and the 10th, 14th, and 32nd TX (dismounted) Cavalry.were on the brigade's right. At dusk on April 8, 1865, Lt. Col. William Bell's 8th Iowa breached the far left of the Confederate line. After seeing the initial success. the Union's 3rd Brigade commander, Col.
James Geddes, ordered Lt. Col. Andrew Rogers' 81st Illinois to support the assault. The North Carolina troops along with 100 Provost Guards made a desperate counterattack that stabilized the Confederate line. Provost Marshall Capt. Alfred Clarke was mortally wounded while leading this counterattack. General Gibson quickly realized that his entire garrison was in jeopardy of being cut off from their only escape route to the Blakeley River, so he decided to evacuate the earthworks during the night.