From here west to the intersection of Craycroft and Fort Lowell Roads stood 2 cavalry barracks, 20 by 145 feet, and 1 band barracks, 20 by 92 feet. The 21 troops of the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th cavalry regiments lived here. The band barracks housed the regimental bands when they were posted at Fort Lowell with the regimental staffs. When the musicians were not in residence, the quartermaster often used their barracks for storage.
In 1889, when the army abolished the post trader's position, it set aside three rooms of the band barracks as a canteen. The army sold beer, wine, cider, soda, cigars, pies, sandwiches and playing cards. They also provided such diversions as billiards, checkers, cards, and chess.
The kitchens sat to the north of the cavalry and band barracks. Each troop and regimental band prepared its own food in its own kitchen, and served meals in its own mess in the same building. Army rations consisted of pork, bacon, beef, bread, beans, peas, rice, coffee, potatoes, molasses and canned foods.
North of the cavalry barracks were covered stables and corrals for the cavalry units. The complex included hay yards, tool rooms, and a blacksmith shop.