In 1852 a pack trail was blazed from Sierra Valley over the summit to the placer mines of the North Yuba. Originally packers transported hay but within a few years this trade included beef, butter, barley, oats, hogs, and poultry.
On April 24, 1860, the Sierra Democrat reported that a 73-mule train packed a disassembled stage over Yuba Pass from Sierra Valley. The stage was reassembled in Downieville and driven by Ike Green on the Middle North Yuba Trail from Downieville to Jamison City, which is now Plumas-Eureka State Park.
In 1861-62 a road was completed from Downieville to Sierra City. The Sierra County Board of Supervisors then contracted for a road to be built from Sierra City to Sierraville but it was not completed until 1870. The Yuba Gap Wagon Road/Sierra Valley Turnpike collected tolls for several years.