This area was settled in 1650 as a rural-farming community known as Middletown Upper Houses. It was incorporated and named Cromwell in 1851. The 18th century saw a thriving riverport. followed by brownstone quarrying and several factories including J. & E. Stevens Company, noted for mechanical iron banks and toys. The A. N. Pierson, Inc. greenhouses rank among the world's largest, and as a rose grower Cromwell was given the title "Rose Town". The Old Burying Ground, granted in 1713, is the resting place of veterans of the French and Indian War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War.
Erected by the Town of Cromwell
the Cromwell Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission