Circa 1918On this site stood the 1885 Gothic Revival home of John Marsh Henshaw, purchased by Monsignor Jean Marie Langlois in 1913, Saint Peter's College began educating boys on September 9, 1918. A school building was constructed east of the Henshaw mansion in 1919. Staffed by the Christian Brothers, the college became a center of Catholic education. Because of increased enrollment, the college moved to De Lasalle Drive in 1957 and was renamed Catholic High School. The City of New Iberia purchased the Main Street property in 1962. The buildings were razed for the city's civic center. The Grotto, built in 1941, is all that remains. New Iberia's foremost historian, Glenn R. Conrad, was a graduate of Saint Peter's College.Donated by the Conrad Family in loving memory of Glenn R. Conrad, New Iberia author and historian.
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.
|Placed By||Iberia Cultural Resources Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, November 6th, 2016 at 9:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 614426 N 3319704|
|Decimal Degrees||30.00295000, -91.81360000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 0.177', W 91° 48.816'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 0' 10.62" N, 91° 48' 48.96" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 457 E Main St, New Iberia LA 70560, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|