Diplodocus carnegii lived 150 million years ago, when dinosaurs dominated the land. Carnegie Museum paleontologists first discovered the remains in Wyoming on July 4, 1899. A new species, the dinosaur wa named after Andrew Carnegie, the museums generous benefactor.
The colossal skeleton, affectionately dubbed "Dippy," soon became an international sensation. Replicas of the celebrated dinosaur were erected in nine museums around the world. The original, however, stands in Carnegie Museum of Natural History's own Dinosaur Hall.
This life-sized replica, created under the scientific guidance of Carnegie Museum of Natural History, was dedicated July 10, 1999.