—The Historic National Road in Ohio —Old Washington was platted along Zane's Trace in 1805 by the brothers George and Henry Beymer. Within two years twelve log dwellings had been built, making it the oldest settlement in Guernsey County. Originally known as New Washington, the official name was given little recognition, as it was generally known as Beymerstown because the Beymers were its founders. On February 10, 1829, two years after the National Road was completed through the town, it was incorporated as Washington, the prefix "New" being dropped after the discovery that an Ohio town of a similar name already existed. Later, after confusion with Washington Court House, the postal department made a request that Washington, Guernsey County, change its name. Reluctantly, the prefix "Old" was added because it was an older town. Old Washington grow rapidly after the National Road was built. The community reached its peak population in 1850. Because of lack of growth after the Civil War, Old Washington has survived as an excellent example of a 19th century National Road town.
|Series||This marker is part of the The Historic National Road series|
|Placed By||The Ohio National Road Association, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 462397 N 4432062|
|Decimal Degrees||40.03795000, -81.44076667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 2.277', W 81° 26.446'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 2' 16.62" N, 81° 26' 26.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 227-237 Buckeye Hiking Trail, Lore City OH 43755, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.